Commissioner of the Revenue
Business Licenses

Business License Fees are based upon gross receipts and the tax rate imposed varies according to category.  Anyone conducting a business with gross receipts over $1,000.00 may be required to obtain a business license.  Out-of-county contractors with a total of over $25,000.00 gross receipts in Surry County may be required to obtain a business license.

Renewal application packages are mailed to existing businesses in January of each year.  Renewals are due on or before March 1 of each year.


Online Business License Renewal

Beginning January 1, 2016, The Commissioner of the Revenue's Office will offer the option to renew a Business License online. You will need a valid e-mail address and will be required to create a PIN. There is also an option to update your mailing address. All Business License renewals and Address Changes will be reviewed by the Commissioner’s office. Click here, to use the e-Commissioner Options Page. 

Once all requirements have been met and payment has been received your Business License will be mailed. If you do not receive a response by e-mail within 10 days, please call the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office at 757-294-5225. 

Checks should be made payable to the Surry County Treasurer and payment mailed to the Commissioner of the Revenue at P.0. Box 35, Surry, VA 23883. 

Contractors will also need to submit proof of a valid VA  Contractors A, B or C License and a completed Contractor's Certificate of Workers Compensation Insurance Form 61-A.  Click here, to access this form.  

To apply for a new Business License please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office.



Changes in Contractor’s Certificate of Workers’ Compensation Insurance 

Effective 2017, the Contractor’s Certificate of Workers’ Compensation Insurance can be filed online at www.workcomp,  Use the Online Contractor Certification Form, 61A.  Paper filings will still be accepted.  

You must have your acknowledgement in order to obtain or renew a business license. 

For questions about filing contact the VWC Insurance Department: 

            Telephone     804-205-3586