The Surry County Building Department supports the Uniform Statewide Building Code in protecting the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of Surry County through issuing permits and conducting inspections.
The Building Official's Office ensures that all buildings constructed in Surry County conform to safety and health requirements as mandated by the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. The office accepts permit applications, reviews applications for compliance and issues permits for the proposed work.
Site visits are performed at various stages of completion to ensure that construction proceeds in compliance with approved plans and that structural, electrical, mechanical and plumbing work is compliant with applicable code requirements. The department issues a certificate of occupancy after the successful completion of construction.
- To request an inspection please provide the permit number, type of inspection, and job address.
- All inspections must be requested by telephone prior to 4:00 p.m.
- Staff will make every effort to perform the requested inspection on the next business day. However, property owners should allow up to two business days for completion of each inspection requested.
- A re-inspection fee of $100 will be assessed if the job is not ready for the requested inspection.
- A fine of $100 will be charged for work started prior to receiving a permit.
For Inspections please call the Inspections Hotline at 877-224-7978 or email at email@example.com. Please be sure to include the following information.
Type of Inspection Needed
Unless otherwise noted all inspections will be scheduled on the next business day.
Surry County utilizes the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. This document is produced by the Virginia Board of Housing and Community Development and is based on the International Code Council (ICC). The current edition of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code is 2012 and the referenced ICC model codes are listed below: